Friday, July 20, 2012

Bummer :(

As most of you already know, I had an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy. So, since I've told the story a bunch of times, I figure I might as well just add it to my blog! Kai and I found out I was preggers 1 week before our 1 year anniversary. I was at work one night and posted at Banner Good Samaritan hospital (which just happens to be the BEST OB/GYN hospital in AZ...) I had seriously sharp abdominal pain and got extremely dizzy. My EMT partner at the time got all freaked out because apparently I looked like crap, so he talked me into going into the ER, which at this point I was fine with because the pain was getting worse and my lips, legs and arms were getting all numb and tingly. They started an IV and gave me Morphine, Benadryl and Zofran, which helped with the pain a lot but also dropped my blood pressure and I think I passed out, but to be honest I can't really remember. 

Side note: Up to this point in my life I had 1 pap smear and that was the most embarrassing thing. Let's just say after this hospital visit, a pap smear is nothin! haha

Anyway, a bunch of docs and nurses and whoever else decided they needed to do ultrasounds, pelvic exams, blood work, etc. Throughout all this stuff my awesome EMT told me funny stories and called Kai, who was pretty sleepy, but drove over with a bag full of clothes n stuff. I was admitted and they had us stay that whole day and overnight. It was actually pretty boring. Kai saved the day and brought me Jimmy Johns sub sandwich, the #16 which is my favorite. I listened to the Coyotes game (we won, of course!) and then we watched Tangled and Just Go With It, which are both awesome movies. They finally let me go home, but first gave me a few shots of Methotrexate, which is actually a cancer drug. It made me all sorts of loopy- dizzy crampy whiney, etc. But they didn't get to chop me open and go the surgical route, so I was a pretty happy chica. 

Recovery wasn't too bad. I got off work for a few weeks, had my blood drawn 7 times over the next 2 weeks and started paying all the hospital bills (ouch!). All in all, it was not the greatest experience in the world, but I'm so grateful it didn't end up much worse than it did. There were actually a bunch of mini blessings hidden in there: I just happened to be at my favorite hospital, my dad and EMT talked me into going into the ER (you guys know me- I would've probably tried to tough it out until I was completely unconscious), and I got to see how calm/loving/tough my husband is- especially in not so fun situations. So, no baby for now, but I guess I'll practice the whole "patience" thing for a little while. 
Not bad considering how grungy/tired we are!


Movie time!


No comments:

Post a Comment